Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Behaviorism, the Classroom and Technology


Learning Theories can be a deep, complicated topic.  As educators, do we really stop and think about learning theories, especially in this day and age of standardized testing and results, results, results?? Personally, I tend to focus more on Learning Styles, so in my current master’s program class on bridging learning theory, instruction and technology, I appreciate the opportunity to learn about how the brain actually works.

The theory we are exploring this week is Behaviorism, which focuses on reinforcement of positive behaviors and punishment of negative behaviors.  According to our class readings this week, as a learning theory, behaviorism is not highly regarded in the education field because it is based upon repetition or drill and practice rather than the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  Personally, I do believe there is a place for drill and repetition learning in education.  Some topics lend themselves to this type of learning, such as math facts.  In my subject area, elementary general music, using flashcards in a drill and repetition manner allows for the practice of note naming to improve music-reading skills. 

Two teaching strategies that work well with behaviorism are reinforcing effort and providing recognition and assigning homework and providing practice.  Reinforcing and recognizing student effort provides students with the motivation to continue quality effort, which is in keeping with the principles of behaviorism.  Students often do not understand the importance of effort (Pitler, Hubbell and Kuhn, 2012).  An important factor that influences achievement is effort (Pitler, Hubbell and Kuhn, 2012).  Through the use of technology, students can record and track how their effort has an impact upon their achievement (Pitler, Hubbell and Kuhn, 2012). This task can be easily recorded and tracked through the use of a Google Doc spreadsheet.  In following the thinking of behaviorist theory, recognition of student effort will create more effort.  Recognition can be accomplished through a wide variety of technology, such as programs that create certificates, bookmarks, or stickers.  In addition, teachers can incorporate multimedia into their recognition by posting pictures of class accomplishments on the Internet.

Assigning homework and providing practice offer students the drill and repetition that the Behaviorist Learning Theory is based upon.  Many computer-based tutorial programs allow students the opportunity for continued practice outside of school (Pitler, Hubbell and Kuhn, 2012).  These programs also provide immediate feedback to the students, acknowledging correct and incorrect replies, again demonstrating a strong connection to behaviorism.  Instructional Interactive programs can be found on-line for all subject matters, are engaging for learners, and offer scaffolding and immediate feedback to assist learners in practicing concepts (Pitler, Hubbell and Kuhn, 2012).

The ideas of drill and repetition and reward and punishment of behaviorism are not new to education.  There are many technology sources that support its use in the classrooms of today, providing students with the opportunity to practice and improve skills, along with providing feedback and encouragement.


References

Laureate Education, Inc., (Producer). (2011). Behaviorist Learning Theory [Video webcast].
            https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2F            webapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_3469            248_1%26url%3D


Pitler, H., Hubbell, E. & Kuhn, M., (2012). Using technology with classroom instruction that             works (2nd ed.). Denver, Colorado: McRel.

4 comments:

  1. Julie

    As a music teacher this might be an interesting article http://anniemurphypaul.com/2013/08/dont-just-learn-overlearn/. I took accordion lessons (odd I know) and later guitar lessons when I was younger. I know for me practicing until I didn't have to think was great for my self-confidence. I didn't know why, exactly, except I didn't have to concentrate so hard on what I was doing, and that's exactly what this article says. The idea of overlearning applied to music is striking for me. I love this quote "These gains in mental efficiency free up resources for other tasks: infusing the music you’re playing with greater emotion and passion, for example..." So I agree, drill and practice certainly have a place in education, and particularly in the area of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,

      My cousin played the accordion, so I think your taking lessons are wonderful! It is an instrument I find amazing but certainly cannot play!! Thanks so much for the article; I look forward to reading the information it offers, and especially your quote...I may have to put that on the wall of my classroom. I think my older elementary kids will understand its meaning.

      thanks for sharing,

      Julie

      Delete
  2. Julie,

    I love your perspective on this week's resources. I agree that a behaviorist approach is useful when learning skills in music class especially when learning the foundations. As a specials teacher myself (art), I get grumbling students when we have to do drills. Students hate the shading and color blending skills practice and want to get to the "fun stuff". Do your students ever complain about the drills like mine do? Do you continue to practice foundational skills all year long?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,

      I try to spice up the drills as much as possible. I have a standing mental rule for myself that every grade level uses some type of classroom instrument -- triangle, maracas, rhythm sticks, sleigh bells, etc. a minimum of twice a month as they read and study rhythm lines.

      Last year I found great resource books at a music store to introduce solfeggio singing to the younger grades and that has helped with the drill of matching pitch to the staff.

      I try to play games and use flashcards as much as possible to try and keep it fun. Yes,I practice foundation skills all year intermixed with new concepts, and lots of singing. I really work with the kids to see/find their foundation information in the songs we are singing so they see and hear it is all real stuff found in music.

      Julie

      Delete