Thursday, March 13, 2014

My GAME Plan


Although I have been out of college for 32 years, actively working in the field of education for 23 years, I have only been in my current position as an elementary general music teacher for three years.  I am still designing and refining my curriculum, and as I review the International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE) National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS_T), now is the perfect and appropriate time to implement changes to ensure that my teaching content is working to meet the standards set forth for both my students and myself.

As I begin working on my eighth class toward a Master’s Degree in Integrating Technology in the Classroom, I can see and feel the growth in my knowledge and understanding of technology from where I was a year ago.  However, as fast as technology changes, I am aware there is always more growth to accomplish. 

Two areas that I would like to become more confident and proficient are:
Standard 2, Indicator A:  Design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.
Standard 5, Indicator A:  Participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).

To help improve my confidence and proficiency in these areas I will be working with a GAME plan, by setting Goals, taking Action, Monitoring progress, and Evaluate the growth made.  (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009).

Setting Goals
2A – As I work to design and improve my curriculum in grade K-5, looking for more sequential building in each grade level, I would like to set a goal of incorporating a learning experience each semester for each grade level that incorporates the use of digital tools.  
5A – I would like to attend one workshop or participate in one webinar each quarter of the year to strengthen and improve my knowledge of technology tools and the classroom implications to improve student learning.

Taking Action
2A – As important as infusing technology tools into instruction are, it is best done in small steps, building confidence (Laureate Education, 2009).  With one quarter left in this current school year, or approximately nine lessons for each grade level, my plan of action will be to design one lesson that incorporates a digital tool for each grade level during the next nine weeks.
5A – Knowing that I learn best by listening and observing, and not just jumping right in and playing with a new piece of technology, I will need to research courses offered through two local technology service centers in my area for courses available on technology tools.  I attended at workshop on iPads in December, and am attending a two-day workshop March 25-26 entitled Innovate Create, so I am currently meeting my goals and need to continue with this schedule in the future. 

Monitoring Progress
2A – Through reflection and journaling, I will record how each lesson went, making record of modifications and improvements for the next school year.
5A – I will keep quality notes from all workshops, highlighting those applications that I think would most benefit my students.

Evaluation
2A – As I work to improve the overall design of my curriculum, I will need to hold myself responsible and accountable for ensuring that the outline for each grade level includes an authentic learning experience each semester that incorporates the use of technology tools, and ask that my colleague or principal hold me accountable to my plans.
5A – Attendance at four conferences or workshops

In addition to taking courses to earn a degree, I am working towards improving my knowledge and confidence of technology in my classroom, believing that its use is vital to quality teaching, all attributes of teachers who successfully incorporate technology into their instruction (Laureate Education, 2009).


References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

Laureate Education, Inc., (Executive Producer). 2009.  Integrating technology across the content areas: Enriching content area learning experiences with technology, part 1. Baltimore, MD: Author.

4 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I have a suggestion for you to possibly use in your classroom. Do you have access to personal devices such as iPods? Composing music using personal devices and posting those to a blog where students, teachers, and community members could evaluate the students’ compositions. I believe our music teacher allowed students to use the garage band application to create their own creative compositions. She posted quick response codes around the school leading to the hosting site for the students’ compositions. Another addition to this project would be for the students to create music that generates a feeling connecting to content they are learning in their classroom. For example, a student could compose a music piece that shows the feelings of holocaust victims. This will allow the students to feel the content they are learning. Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2010) mention that digital storytelling is an effective learning strategy (p. 67). I feel that the stories of powerful historical events, such as the Holocaust, could also be told using music.

    References
    Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.


    Ashley Davis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley,

      Thank you for your suggestions! I always enjoy hearing how other music teachers are using technology in their classrooms. I have access to iPads and have been checking out the composition programs available on them, of course starting with the free ones for now!! I hope to work with the tech department and set up student blogs for next school year where my students can respond to different musical selections, creating an archived reflection/journal about their responses to music. I know I can't do everything at once, so I'm setting goals and working towards those.

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie,
    I don't know what type of computers your school district uses, but I have a suggestion for how you may be able to incorporate more digital tools into your instruction. My school district uses Mac computers, and one of the pieces of software on it is called Garageband. This application allows you to make music recording, use all sorts of virtual software instruments, and even learn how to play the guitar or piano by letting it give you music lessons. There are similar programs for PC computers as well. I use this program a lot for making podcasts because it gives a lot of options for record voices. You can set the parameters for male/female voices,share it with iTunes, and even export it over to Quicktime for making videos really easily. The more you play with it, the more it seems to offer. I am definitely lacking in the musical talent department, so I may try to let it give me some lessons over the summer.
    Ryan Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan,

      Thank you so much for the information as to how you are using Garageband and your suggestions. Our school computers, which are Macs, do have Garageband on them. I'm not as familiar with the program as I would like to be -- another item still on the "to do" list. It is hard for my classes to actually get to a computer lab to work on the computers, so I have been doing research on composing apps for the iPad, because I do have easy access to them. We have just added Chromebooks to our technology tools, so that will be another source, and I am hoping to work with some composition tools with those, also.

      Julie

      Delete